Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Ramadhan and my food cravings

Dear Amir,

Yesterday we started fasting. That explains why both of Papa and I have been waking up in the middle of the nite to eat! I know you looked very confuse when you woke up at 5am to see us makan nasik but that's how it works and it's called sahur. When you're older, i'll teach you about the whole deal ok?

The start of this Ramadhan was ok for both of us. I cooked on the first day. Nasi jagung and your Papa's favourite ayam masak merah. We also had fresh watermelon juice, which was also enjoyed by you. Today we settled for what Papa bought from pasar ramadhan. I made popiah, been longing for homemade popiah. Those popiah they sell with overflowing sauce on top doesnt do it for me lah. By the way, Papa was really upset with his purchases.. macam tak ikhlas berniaga he said.. pity him. I'll try to cook more often if i have the energy to.

Papa was a bit concern about me fasting since i'm still in my early weeks and been having headache quite often, especially when i'm hungry (but couldnt eat cos loya). But i think with good niat, God will help me through it. Well, first day was fine.. in fact i managed to cook n clean up the kitchen, mop the whole bedroom cos you suddenly puked while happily playing (?), change the bedspread.. quite somethingla since we havent been sleeping well the last two nites since you were very restless and wailing like never before. In fact the only reason you stop was because you lost your voice and Pooh was in sight. (We wont be having Pooh for a while, cos you vomitted all over your poor friend the other day)

Anyway, talk about food and all, i've been having 'some' cravings (already??). But luck or rezeki has really been on 'little adik's side. Last 2 weeks, I crave for Pasembor Penang and was in fact planning a trip with Papa there, that very evening, we went for a neighbour's bday party and guess wat?? Pasembor was the main item.. sedap pulak tu! I told the host I was craving for it and help myself to a few servings of the treasured dish. haha... tak malu! Then last week, I wanted JCo Donuts.. promptly enough Uncle Wan was in Sunway Pyramid so he bought me a box that evening. I never ate donuts that many and that fast in one go!

I also got my Tony Roma's onion loaf. We went for Tony Roma after your/my check up the other day(belated anniversary) and that was the main thing i ate even though we ordered quite a number of things. Then last weekend, we went for Nyonya food, cos suddenly i found myself drooling over some pics of assam fish and pandan chicken. Also last weekend, our neighbourhood was suppose to have a bbq to menyambut ramadhan, but it was changed to steamboat instead. I was frustrated. That nite itself, Tok Ayoh Loh called asking us to go over and help them finish the abundant bbq lamb, leftover from their earlier makan2.

All I can say is alhamdulillah. Hope i havent been melampau with all these sudden urge to eat this and that. Papa is worried that 'little adik' is going to be a spoilt baby, with an expensive taste too.. hehe.

But one thing remains elusive - the authentic 'aussie' shawarma kebab complete with tabouleh, sour cream, melted cheese n all. Just like the one the lebanese sell in australia. The one that I've grown tired of when we were in australia, cos that's the easiest, cheapest halal food around. And now i'm craving for it.



Which is almost sad cos I've been craving for it since my pregnancy with you. And now it's back.
We'll see if i'm in luck this time.
Nonetheless, alhamdulillah for all these rezeki Ya Allah and wish everyone a blessed Ramadhan ahead.
p/s: Papa bought kebab from pasar ramadhan today, but the soggy piece of pita overflowing with cheap sauce is no consolation i'm afraid. Thanks dear... i appreciate it how you try and try..

6 comments:

hetz said...

oh man kesian u and ur kebab west-end. takpe, u'll get to eat it soon ish insyaAllah :)

Anonymous said...

ur kebab doesnt look nice at all..

Nikmummy said...

yeh, that's y i'm counting on you to bring me back THE kebab. I dont care how.. but you MUST!

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

laaaa awat tak habaqqq??! kan kita kat melbourne haritu, bolehhhh find a way to tapau lamb-on-a-plate. separate sauce and everything, essemblekan kat sini. ok ok if ure still craving in november, i've got friends coming back. let me know, okeh!!

Nikmummy said...

oh bb, thank v much for the offer!(although i missed the boat earlier)

the craving wasnt as bas as it was during Amir's time, so i can wait. parents going there dec.

thanks again though..

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

not a problem ;) if u change your mind just holler! anyway, do keep on posting your cravings.. its fun to read! and maybe we can help cater to it too, kan?!