Tuesday, July 22, 2008

1st Bday Countdown - THE day

Throughout my pregnancy, i never got the false alarm contraction. So when the real deal kicks in at 2pm 22nd July 2007, enough to wake me up from my slumber, I thought that was it, finally.. this is wat the fuss is all about.. i thought it was the Braxton Hicks. But when the sharp pressure hit again about 20 mins later.. i quickly pick up the alarm clock and stared at it obediently. True enough, 20 mins on, it hit again. It was then that I decided that I should really force myself to sleep cos the next day may be the longest day of my life, and I will be for some serious work.. the labour.

But who am i kidding? The contraction came precisely every 15 mins so instead of sleeping, I was busy anticipating pain and trying all the breathing technique i learnt, which i forgot, and did not help. I remembered looking at your Papa.. contemplating if I should wake him up. But then, he'll be my number 1 support system tomorrow, so I let him have the luxury of sleep for the very last time everrr :)

At 5am, woke Papa up, called Tok Ma to tell her. Papa jumped right away and was quite gelabah. It's half funny and half endearing to see him that way. It was Monday, so we decided to go to the hospital early to avoid the morning rush. Contraction was still 15 mins apart and I was still talking and laughing on the way to the hospital. It feels so surreal. I have to admit, amidst the excitement, i felt very scared.

Checked in the hospital at 7am and were strapped to the machine. Contraction was still 15 mins apart but getting more painful. That was the case for the next hoursss.. Doc said the graph showed that my contraction was quite severe but I was still talking in between them. She discussed it over with the nurse and actually asked me "Sakit ke tak ni, macam tak sakit je, betul tak ni?" i forgave her cos she's also a mother so she MUST be kidding.

The progress was slow. They broke my waterbag at 5pm, a process which i never realised untill i saw a pail being carried out of the room. Then they gave me something to accelerate the labour. At about 6pm, the doc came in to check on me and told me the worst news of the day, that she's gonna go home and come back after Maghrib cos most probably i'll only be ready then. I felt like pulling her and tie her to my bed then, but Tok Ma assured me that the doc knows best.

The next few hours was pain at its best. They gave me pethidine and the laughing gas but i was in too much pain to understand how to use it properly. Then, after wat seems forever, doc arrived, checked on me and give everyone the thumbs up. The nurses,midwife, paed scurry around me, got me prep. Tok Pa was asked to leave. Tok Ma and your Papa was by my side. And they were veryveryvery amazing by the way.

It was precisely around this time that i finally understood how to use the gas thing.. so more relaxed now, i gave my best and at 9.05pm, I heard the doc said "Assalamualaikum.." which was immediately followed by a loud cry. Then i saw the black lock of hair and felt a warm little thing squiggling on my tummy... it was you, looking up, clenching my fingers with your tiny hand.

The rest was a blur... Papa gave me a kiss n thank me again and again. Paed took you away and cleaned you up, doc was finishing her stuff downunder. Saw Tok Ma crying. Tok Pa came in and was busy snapping pics

Then Papa lifted you up, it was his first time holding a baby as tiny as you are. All the chaos in the room halted. I saw and heard him shed his tears as he recited azan to you. That was the most memorable part of your birthday, and it will always be.

1 year on.. here we are, you're turning 1 tomorrow, and i'm just so overwhelmed..

4 comments:

hetz said...

awww.. this is a beautiful entry :)
oh and its today right? happy 1st birthday Amir :p

ira said...

happy birthday dearest amir!!!
you're trully a champ ;)

Nina @ BabyBoon said...

happy birthday handsome boy!!

nuhaafnan said...

oh gosh, i just realised i missed his birthday. kinda waiting and waiting for the actual day post sampai termiss terus. hihihi

nway, hope he had a blast of a celebration.