Saturday, June 27, 2009

HELP!

Dear fellow moms,
My bmilk supply is zooming down and i need help, advice or any petua that may help
As i've mentioned in earlier posts, Sarah is on mixed feeding. It used to be 70% formula, 30% EBM, then 50/50, then it drops to 100% formula for the past 2 days since i'm all dried up!
She rarely feed directly from me now. When she does, it's more of the playful kind, not the hungry kind. But when she does, i can actually see that there's plenty of milk.. enough to last the one hour suck, let go, sucksucksuck smile, let go.. These days, i pump only twice a day. (Was pumping every 4 hrs but mostly one or two sad drops and that sent me really stressed, so i limit the pumping) In the morning i get less than 1 oz and in the evening just slightly more than 1 oz. and this is not a joke. For the past few days, my morning pumping session produces nothing at all. Yesterday and today, I spent my whole day with her, and there were no letdown, not when we were playing, not when she's fussing for feed. I dont have engorgement, just feel heavy but no pain. Tried to pump with both of my 2 pumps, nothing!
I'm using medela harmony and spectra 3 interchangeably. But earlier this week, out of desperation, i used my bare hand and it produces close to 2 oz.. something i never achieve for a long long while.. but my nips suffer afterwards. My back ache too.
So how la? tried the fenugreek tea, longan, lobak putih, sawi, pegaga.. sama je. I'm not on any jamu and eating well. I'm happy most of the days lately. I know I'm doing far better this time around but I cant help thinking that breastfeeding is such a natural thing that it shouldnt be this difficult to produce enough milk to nourish my kid. Afterall she's only 3 mths old, almost. I'm not beatingmyself up abt this yet.. afterall i dont foresee that i will produce that long anyway.. but this is too soon, and i'm still game for this. So ladies, help me?

8 comments:

doodlemom said...

dont get too tensed up or your supply will be lesser. actually, the more u express, the less is the supply cos the 'natural demand' is not there. tak pe la ying, dont get upset unnecessarily. its not good for u and the baby. thats just my 2 pence worth. i bought 'nursing' tea from napier the herbalist online dulu but i never got to use it cos my supply met the demand.

hetz said...

hey babe, dont be stressed out. frm experience increasing the no of times i pumped help. increasing no of direct feeds per day also helps. So u can try that i guess. i tried the tea etc but didnt work for me. but since they must've worked for others im sure they're good lah. Anyway all the best n dont stress urself out k? im sure hvg 2 kids is a handful as it is n u certainly dont need an additional thing to worry about ;)

mama shmontel said...

i pulak suspen baca ni. i would be thinking like u too!! (referring to ur last paragraph). why don't u see a lactation consultant? mana tahu an LC boleh detect apa yg tak kena. and then, kalau ada tahu makcik2 yg urut after bersalin ni, they might know how to massage the breast utk kasi keluar susu juga. apapun, good luck! re-laxx...& smile!

Nikmummy said...

Kak noni, hetz : Am not tensed sangat la, but just puzzled with wat is wrong. Anyway, i had it worst during Amir's time so am really grateful as it is now.

Mye : 2 makcik uruts confirmed that mmg not much there.. but i refused to admit defeat.. hehe. I've identified one LC nearby, meeting her next week insyaAllah. Thanks for the suggestion.

kiddo's mom said...

there is another way, a type of pill that can help. but it's no magic pill la, maybe it can help boost like an extra ounce or so. but kalau memang dah tak ada, no use jugak. the bad point abt starting the pill is that u'll get somehow 'hooked' on it. as in, once u start, u can't do without. i'd say it's the last resort lah. don't stress la babe... this bfeeding this, not everyone can do it. just be grateful for the months she got the nourishment. and yes, just keep pumping. the more the better. though nothing comes out, it will stimulate the boobies :)

good luck!

Ariana said...

hi nik...

yup dont stress out... (easier said than done.. i know)


yup.. i echo mye's suggestion.. see LC... then u can really know whether the milk is really not there.. or just unable to get out... sometimes its really mental block.... unable to condition the body to release the prolactin hormon...

some say u can take BF leave/cuti..so that u stay in bed with your baby all day long... doing nothing but feeding him...(and other stuff too lah).. but whenever the baby wants a suck, u have to be there.. to stimulate back the breasts..

there might be some thruth in it... coz nowadays... everytime after weekend...when I mainly direct feed... on monday, mesti susu up sket....

for me.. changing pump helped a lot.... i really hate to say it, but changing the pump to freestyle, menaikkan gila gila my susu balik.... from using up ALL my stash until zero... now im building new stash.. and now im at a point where I have to throw away some of the new stash (coz dah beyond the 3 months limit useability)..

but this is me... not sure is its the same for you.... maybe if u can get a try.. PISA or freestyle at lactaequip or other places.... see if changing the pump will help...

Gja said...

this might be weird sbb smua org yg comment adalah mama-mama belaka but whatever la..here goes...hahaha.. kak ann, makcik urut mama once told mama that kalau nak byk bmilk, rebus air kacang hijau and minum air dia. i hope this helps.
:p

Anonymous said...

FelplypeKic
appd